Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It is not the destination but the journey

What creates a journey? I have made a major move in my life from Connecticut to Alta, Utah. The journey was exciting, although at times boring; it was also fun and created many good memories for me. Once I reached the destination I was unsure if it would live up to the expectations I had created for it in my mind. This is a new feeling for me, I have been lucky enough to travel all over the world and never before have I thought that the statement "It is not the destination but the journey" to be true. While traveling through Thailand this summer I had an amazing time, and although the journey was amazing and fun the best times I had were on the Island of Koh Tao. Scuba diving every day, eating great food for dirt cheap on the bar that hung over the beach, learning about scuba, and meeting people.
It seems that one could tie a destination into the journey to create a sort of hybrid that would make more sense to me. If you intertwine the best parts of both the journey and the destination you create something that can be very memorable. I have set out on a journey and although I have reached my initial destination I do not see the journey as over. I hate to think that the destination I have reached is not the one I want to be at but time will tell.
For now I will start thinking of other ideas of destinations and journeys. I would like to peruse my photography hobby by going out into the desert of the American Southwest and spending some time photographing the landscapes. I am not quite ready to give up on life in the canyon but it is time to start thinking of some other options.

No comments:

Post a Comment